Wholesome Breakfast Cookies
Cookies for breakfast? Why not?! Especially when they can be chock full of healthy goodness to fuel you for the day!
We’ll let you in on a little secret – we have been known to eat a cookie or two at breakfast. I know, earth-shattering news right?!! Well we no longer have to keep the cookie for breakfast thing a secret. These Wholesome Breakfast Cookies are healthy and filling and perfect to grab on your way out the door.
We played around with this recipe quite a bit because we wanted to make these without flour. We ended up finding the right combination of peanut butter, bananas and oats to get these Wholesome Breakfast Cookies to keep their shape and taste great. We also added chocolate chips and dried cranberries for a bit of sweetness and sunflower seeds for crunch. Feel free to mix these last 3 ingredients up with whatever you are craving. Be sure to share your creations with us because we love trying variations of everything that we make!
With lots of wholesome nutritious ingredients hiding in these delicious breakfast cookies, it would be a shame if you didn’t give them a try! They are easy to make, delicious and freeze well – what else could you ask for?!
Go ahead and start the kids’ day (and yours) off right and have cookies for breakfast!
- 1 cup peanut butter
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1⅓ cups quick oats
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- ⅓ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ⅓ cup unsalted sunflower seeds
- ⅓ cup raisins or dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 325F (163C). Place a sheet of parchment paper on baking sheet. Set aside.
- In a large bowl using a handheld mixer or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat peanut butter on medium speed until smooth and creamy. Add maple syrup and beat on medium speed. Add the oats, salt, cinnamon and bananas and mix on medium speed until fully incorporated, scraping down sides of bowl as necessary. Dough will be very wet and sticky – that means you did it right!
- Using a wooden spoon, mix in chocolate chips, sunflower seeds and raisins/cranberries until everything is combined.
- Drop about 1 tablespoon of dough on prepared baking sheet and flatten slightly. Continue dropping dough about 2 inches apart until baking sheet is full. Bake for 18 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes then move to a wire rack and allow to cool completely.