Coconut Pineapple Bars
We have one delicious and simple dessert for you today. 3 perfect layers make this a pretty and delicious treat that will be gobbled up before you know it!
Coconut Pineapple Bars remind us of Pina Coladas (virgin for the girls of course!) – ahhhh yummy patio drinks! Well, summer is just around the corner so rather than wait to enjoy those pineapple coconut flavours, give these bar cookies a go!
These are seriously heavenly without being too heavy. Who doesn’t love a shortbread crust and this one has the addition of coconut which gives it a great texture.
A buttery shortbread base and a gooey coconut topping with a layer of pineapple sandwiched in between. If you don’t have coconut lovers in your family, you should have them give this bar cookie a chance. We have made this for many “anti-coconut” friends and they have loved them. We aren’t saying that we converted them into coconut lovers, but they did love these Coconut Pineapple Bars. Bring on summer!
- ½ cup salted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 ¼ cups granulated sugar, divided
- 3 large eggs, divided and room temperature if possible
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups sweetened feather flake coconut, divided
- 14 oz can of crushed pineapple, drained
- Preheat oven to 350F (177C). Lightly grease a 8-inch by 8-inch square pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl using a handheld mixer or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium speed until smooth. Add ¾ cup of sugar, 1 egg and vanilla and beat on low speed until combined. Add flour, baking powder and ½ cup coconut. Beat on low speed until combined and slightly crumbly.
- Press into bottom of prepared pan. Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden around the edges. Remove from oven (leave oven on) and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl using a handheld mixer or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, on medium speed beat 2 eggs. Add ½ cup of sugar and 1 and ½ cups of coconut and mix on medium-low speed until combined.
- Spread drained pineapple on warm base. Pour mixture over top of pineapple. Return to oven and bake for an additional 30 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before cutting into squares and serving.