Cinnamon Sugar Crusted Banana Bread
We know… this is the longest title for a recipe for Banana Bread – right??!! Well, we amped up your regular old banana bread and figured it needed a really descriptive name!
What did we amp it up with? Our new food obsession… cinnamon sugar. It is so simple, and tastes great with everything! Mix a little melted butter into it, crumble it on top of banana bread and wow – Cinnamon Sugar Crusted Banana Bread!
Cinnamon Sugar. Great as a dipper for apples, sprinkled on oatmeal or applesauce and as a coating on donuts. We could go on and on… We had a bunch of ripe bananas and cinnamon sugar on our minds when we came up with Cinnamon Sugar Crusted Banana Bread.
Using 3-4 ripe bananas makes this a moist and delicious bread that is perfect for breakfast or a snack any time of day. The bread is thick and dense so go ahead and share a slice – you will make some new friends!
We added some melted butter to the cinnamon and the sugar to make it crumbly. This makes the topping stay with the Cinnamon Sugar Crusted Banana Bread when you cut it. Otherwise, without the butter the yummy cinnamon sugar would fall away when you cut or try to eat a piece. Just a hint – put a piece of aluminum foil or cookie sheet under your loaf pan while the bread is baking. As the bread rises, some of the sugary topping may ooze over the top and make for a messy clean up in your oven.
Give this Cinnamon Sugar Crusted Banana Bread a try. The addition of the topping really brings this regular quick bread to a whole new level. Enjoy!
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature if possible
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-4 mashed bananas
- ⅓ cup vanilla yogurt – any kind
- 2 cups all-purpose or whole wheat flour – or a combination of the two!
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat oven to 350F (177C). Lightly grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and cinnamon until combined. Add to wet mixture and mix on low speed until just combined.
- Spread batter into the prepared loaf pan and top with cinnamon sugar.
- Bake for 60 minutes, covering bread with aluminum foil after 35 minutes so that the sugar topping does not burn. Turn oven off and leave bread in hot oven for an additional 20 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
Bread can be covered and stored in the fridge for up to 1 week, or frozen for up to 2 months.