Chocolate Shadow Cookies
What’s so great about a shadow cookie you ask? You don’t have to choose! You get an all-in-one doubly delectable cookie.
One side is a delicious buttery white chocolate chip sugar cookie. The other side? An equally delicious chocolately cookie studded with milk chocolate chips.
As an aside, in case you have been missing us WE ARE BACK!!! We had major technical issues with our website at the end of December and it took until now to fix it all. We are not technically inclined so had to get some help putting it all back together. I wish we were techies… better get the girls interested in that! So enough about our technical drama and on to the yummy stuff!
We were so excited to finally have our blog back and functioning we decided to celebrate! What better way than with this soft and chewy Chocolate Shadow Cookie. These are favourites wherever we take them. Seriously, if you are watching what you eat, you should turn away – these babies are irresistible!
Please don’t be intimidated by the 2 cookies in 1. They are slightly more time-consuming to make than a regular old cookie, but are still ridiculously simple. You just have to make one cookie dough recipe and then mix some melted chocolate into ½ of it. Roll a few small balls of each colour of cookie dough, roll 2 colours of the small dough balls together and you are done! Simple, totally cute and crazy good! These are fantastic any time of day, but if you catch them while they are still warm and melty – WOW!!
We are so glad to be back at it! Enjoy these Chocolate Shadow Cookies and see you next week!! Ahhh – it is so great to be back!!
- 1 ½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1 cup salted butter, softened to room temperature
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature if possible
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375F (190C). Place a sheet of parchment paper on a baking sheet. Set aside.
- Melt 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips in the microwave. Set aside.
- In a large bowl using a handheld mixer or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat butter and sugars on medium speed until smooth. Add eggs and vanilla and beat on medium speed until combined. Add flour and soda. Beat on medium speed until incorporated, scraping down sides of bowl as necessary. The dough will be stiff.
- Divide dough in half.
- Mix white chocolate chips into ½ of the dough. Set aside.
- Mix melted chocolate chips into remaining ½ of the dough to make chocolate cookie dough. Add in remaining ½ cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- Roll 1 teaspoon of white cookie dough into small balls. Roll 1 teaspoon of chocolate cookie dough into small balls. Take one white ball and one chocolate ball and gently roll together to make a two-toned cookie. Place 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheet and flatten slightly.
- Bake cookies for about 10 minutes or until white cookie side is starting to brown around the edges. Remove from oven and allow to cool on pan for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool completely.