Chocolate Mint Brownie Cupcakes
If you like brownies (and who doesn’t?) you will love these Chocolate Mint Brownie Cupcakes.
My oldest daughter is a brownie-addict and came up with the idea for this delectable treat. These are a dense chocolaty cupcake with a hint of mint flavour, perfect for any occasion. Thank goodness swimsuit season is still months away, so you can comfortably pull on the sweatpants and enjoy one or two (or five) of these treats.
Since Valentine’s Day is just around the corner, why not whip up some of these Chocolate Mint Brownie Cupcakes for loved ones? We are not that big on Valentine’s Day in our house in the traditional sense. My husband and I have never been known to give each other gifts or do the “date night” thing on Valentine’s Day. My sensible side always kicks in and I figure why pay more for chocolates, flowers or dinner just because it is February 14? BUT, I am not a Valentine’s Day hater, really I am not!
The weird thing is that we really didn’t start even recognizing Valentine’s Day until we had kids. Since then, my Valentine’s baking has been kicked up a notch. Now I often bake treats for the girls to take in to their classrooms (although they are now hinting that they are getting a little too old for that…) and also will have some left at home for us! In addition to my oldest, everyone in our house and family loves brownies. So, we figured let’s go a little more upscale for Valentine’s Day and do a Chocolate Mint Brownie Cupcake. Similar to a brownie, these cupcakes are dense, cakey and full of chocolate flavour. The addition of chopped up mint chocolates into the batter gives this cupcake a cool mint flavour that is a nice surprise! It also adds a little bit of moistness to the cupcake for a neat play on texture.
Honestly, if you have never made cupcakes from scratch, this recipe is for you. Try it today because it is easy, and it is months away from swimsuit season. Curl up by the fire with your sweetie and indulge in a Chocolate Mint Brownie Cupcake this Valentine’s Day!
- 2 large eggs, room temperature if possible
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup vegetable or canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup Greek Yogurt – I use 0% Vanilla flavoured
- ⅔ cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup chopped mint chocolates – I used After Eight sticks, but any mint filled chocolate will do just fine!
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 6 tablespoons milk – any kind will do
- Preheat oven to 350F (177C). Lightly grease a cupcake pan with cooking spray, or place cupcake liners in cupcake pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl using a handheld mixer or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the eggs on medium speed. Add the sugars and beat on medium speed until creamy and light yellow in colour. Mix in oil, vanilla and yogurt on medium-low speed until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk cocoa powder, flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt until combined. On low speed, mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until flour mixture is just combined. With a wooden spoon, fold chopped chocolates in until just combined.
- Spoon the batter into prepared cupcake pan, filling ½ full.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of a cupcake comes out clean. If you are using cupcake liners, allow to cool for about 10 minutes in pan before removing to wire rack to cool completely. If you did not use liners, allow cupcakes to cool completely in the pan before removing.
- In a large bowl using a handheld mixer or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter on medium speed until smooth. Add 1 cup of powdered sugar and 2 tablespoons of milk and mix on low speed until blended. Repeat until all of the sugar and milk are incorporated and the mixture is creamy and smooth.
- Fill a piping bag with frosting and using a star tip pipe onto top of cooled cupcake.